Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A performance sux when you have to be your own soundman

Sorry for not updating, was busy with work and performances...sigh

Yes indeed, this is the worst case scenario for any performer. When you have to be your own soundman. This is also why I always advocate bands and performers I know to learn Sound Engineering. You will never know when it wil save your ass with that.

This happened to me last monday. When Late Night Affair all arrived, we kenna the big bomb...

"Today no sound man.... How ah? You all know how or not?"

Luckily I am a soundman =)

I did wonders that day... A power mike up of the drum kit with only a SM58 and SM57. Even Jim says it sound good.

But then, my Mix is like Mediacorp. Focus on vocalist, make the drums tight, the rest of the instruments are just like backing tracks. Good or bad...it's hard to decide as I had a hard time mixing and performing at the same time. Thats why I asked Gerard to drop by next week just in case....

This week was worst... There had a sound engineer, in fact, there were 5 - 6 engineers in the house. But their equipment died... No crossover, which means speakers only gave the high and mid, which almost killed the audience and the EQ was like ....... and the stage sound.... kaoz.... I realli hate that place... All the tiles and glass makes EQing a big problem. And it doesn't help when the in house engineer is over stress. In short, our sound sux to the max.

Therefore, I will do my own personal sound next time. To make sure all is good and well before I perform.

P.s I did sound for the Norweigian Seaman Mission and got praise for a good mix when I felt I sux... Maybe I set too high a standard for myself but then, it's always better to set higher standards so that u can grow =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home