Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The rights of a blogger or the lack of it

As we all know, blogging has always being a tool for expression. For tokking cock, revealing your inner most tots, your feelings abt the Ga Men etc. etc.

Many people feel that it is a place to express your own views openly without any police knocking on your door to catch you...

Well boys and girls, I am sorry but you are wrong!

Blogging is the easiest way for you to get sued for Defamation! Especially in Singapore context.

According to the Defamation Act and intepretation by lawers etc. etc.

You will only need to prove the following:

1. The statement must be defamatory in nature;
2. The statement must refer to the plaintiff; and
3. The statement must be published.

Which means, if we wanna complain or accuse people of anything, we better be careful coz the other people can sue you for defamation.

What are the defense?

We are use the following:

Defense of justification - prove that it's really true! But this is hard if you are accusing people in power

Defense of fair comment - No malice is intended. It is made as a 3rd party observation and in the name of public interest.

Indeed, Defamation is a scary thing, especially online

So all you fellow bloggers, please take extreme care when you blog ok?

Next, Dear Royston, sorry for the response on my blog towards your posting. Perhaps it is my wrongful understanding of your post... but wellz, my english sux (C6 mah...)
But then, as a friend, I would hope that better understanding is made between you and Studio Comm. Sometimes Gerard and I do things that are illogical to you, but logical to us. Perhaps it is the different in prospective that created the unhappiness.

But nevertheless (did i spell that correctly?) I do hope that you will try to understand us more. Understanding, openness and transparency will make the world a better place, which is hard for Studio Comm as we are always a ninjia group and slaves for SMU, which I am not complaining coz I choose the path myself.

Good luck for your future endevours and hope that you and your band will cut an album soon. I do enjoy your songs =)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Mr. Prataz for leaving a comment on my entry. I am appreciative of this gesture.

I have said too, it was never about you. I remembered we have spoken before, and I understood your stand and restrictions when you were in office. I saw through the difficulties, I was once a slave like you were, before joining the Arts.

But it's not about you. There are other individuals who happily embrace that power, enjoy that control. That's the issue.

I do agree that my tone has not been the nicest sometimes. That's just me.

Whether the band comes back, like I said, it's a gigantic question mark. We have our own problems too.

We are friends, just not more than that I guess. Please, no Brokeback Mountain shit though.

Have a good graduation, all the best, and I apologize you mistook my words, causing this misunderstanding. After all, I did get C5 for my GP too.

So what's an anorexic's favourite food?

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home