Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Curses of the IT Help-Desk

I change upon a blog recently complaining from the failure of Oasis and being unable to log-in to check classes and stuff, reminding myself of my former SMU love-hate relationship with CIT and currently, my love-hate relationship with PA Help Desk (I'm working in People's Association)

As with any good big organization, the IT Support is always being outsourced. And of coz, alot of problems come alot with it like:

1) Foreign Talents with Foreign Accent

How am I going to understand Inglish (Indian's english) or Pnglish (Philliphino's English)? The Helpdesk is suppose to be helpful not Velpful or anything else. I'm calling to ask for help, not to play english decoder...I'm a Singaporean... Give me Good English or Singlish!

2) Virus and Spyware is the root of all problems... NOT!

After getting thru to the Helpdesk after like 2-3 calls, they always like to attribute the problem to Virus or Spyware... which is often not the cause of the problem. Why can't they do their job and really work on solving our problems instead of blaming virus and spyware and saying this is the best they can do?

3) We are not stupid! It's just that we don't have your arsenal of technological toys

Do you always have a feeling that the IT ppl thinks that you are a bimbo /himbo and talks to you in a careful manner so that you can understand... Yes I know what's a ram, what's a harddisk, what's USB, and I even know how to download Adaware! Just stop thinking that I'm stupid!!!

4) Being persistent is the only solution of your problem

Do you always feel that the IT guys are playing ping-pong with you, bouncing you all around? Just be firm and make sure that if they screw you up, who's going to answer for it? Can they do your work for you? And when appointments are made and they forget, give them hell!

I managed to get my PC done up after numerous calls, 3-4 reformats, a change of harddisk just to discover that the memory chip is faulty... (The PC keep on giving hints, which the IT ppl choose to ignore, stating it's "normal" and the PC needs to settle down)

So be persistent and insist on getting it corrected! You maybe able to get your PC working or at least an IT Guy coming over to "solve" your problems

1 Comments:

Blogger shanster said...

hey there..thx for the entertaining comments! I'm trying my best to be +ve now and yes, CIT does suck in a big way but they're improving. Btw, are you still studying in SMU?

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home